La
Línea by Ann Jaramillo
Plot Summary:
Miguel turns fifteen and is given the opportunity to travel up to California to meet up with his dad. However, he must do it illegally. He leaves his grandmother and thirteen-year-old sister behind, but his sister, Elena, manages to come along for the journey. They meet a man named Javier who helps them along their trek up to the border and beyond. They must face dangerous situations like running into the militia, avoiding getting beaten up by gangs (including keeping Elena safe from being raped) and to not be killed by the mata gente, a name that trains are given where people try to board them while it is moving and do not succeed and die in the process. Miguel, Elena and Javier have to try to survive while going through a desert. Will Miguel, Elena and Javier make it to their destinations?
Personal Review:
I enjoyed reading this little book. I could imagine how hard it would be to try to cross the border into another country illegally. This puts in perspective what kind of hardships one would encounter in making such a journey. It made me sad reading when a certain character (I will not mention who it was ) died. I would recommend this to anyone I know.
Warnings: Some gory descriptions of how people die.
Other books by the author:
None other than La Línea
No comments:
Post a Comment