Tuesday, November 10, 2009

After the First Death

After the First Death
by Robert Cormier

Plot Summary: Miro, a young terrorist, and his fellow comrades hijack a bus full of preschoolers and take hostage Kate, the teenage bus driver. Kate is ordered to drive the bus over a bridge. She does what she can for the kids while she can still try to keep herself alive. Miro does his best to keep Kate in check, however Kate tries to outsmart the terrorists by making her own plans to get her and the kids out of harm's way. As the hijackers give their ultimatum to the government, they request that Inner Delta, a secret agency, be disbanded. Inner Delta's general sends his son Ben to give information to the hijackers regarding what they plan to do in order to fulfill their requests. The story leads you to hope that the terrorists lose and Kate and Ben survive.

Personal Review: I had previously read this book in high school and didn't really like reading it. However, as I read it again, I changed my mind on how I thought about it. In high school, the teacher had us read it in conjunction to what had recently occurred: 9/11. The book was very intriguing, especially when we find out that it is Ben's father who is narrating the story rather than Ben himself and that Ben's father had gone insane. I did not realize that when I read it in high school. Although I have to admit that I did not like the idea of Kate having to remove her underwear and her having to talk about her weak bladder.

Warnings: Swearing, violence and death.

Other books by the Author:
The Chocolate War
I Am the Cheese
In the Middle of the Night
Tunes for Bears to Dance To
We All Fall Down

No comments:

Post a Comment